Saturday, July 5, 2008

First View

I don't think anyone's actually seen this photo ... sorry about that! We didn't mean to keep it from anyone, but it really doesn't show much :) This is the first ultrasound I had on April 15. In the bottom photo the baby is in the blur on the bottom -- like I said, not much to see! But that first image really hit home for us -- it was pretty exciting to see our developing baby on the screen!

So that was my very first appointment with Dr. Smith. He's the same doctor Heather (David's sister) had, and I like him a lot. He's very easy to get along with. At that first appointment, the baby measured 1.6 cm from crown to rump and the heartbeat was 154 beats per minute. All in all, a very healthy baby!

Besides seeing the heartbeat and the ultrasound as a whole, I also had the usual blood work done. The next appointment on May 13 was exciting in that we got to hear the heartbeat for the first time -- it was a healthy 173 beats per minute. I had gained 2 pounds by the second appointment.

Our third appointment with Dr. Smith was June 17. I had gained 6 pounds by this time. We heard the heartbeat again -- 158 bpm -- but otherwise it was a quick trip to the doctor's. Dr. Smith talked to us about the blood work that could be done to test for different things that could be wrong with the baby, but we opted against it -- we figured the results wouldn't change anything and there was nothing that could be done if it came out there was something wrong (if the results were even right) so we didn't want to put ourselves through it.

David has been with me at all the appointments, which has been very nice -- of course, I'd be worried if he wasn't :)

2 comments:

bodaat said...

Hi lovely! It's Kavita - thank you for starting a blog. I would love to hear all of the updates. I have a blog too that you're more than welcome to check out. Love ya and take care (and keep the updates coming!).

careyjohnson7 said...

cool. i wish i had created a daddy blog when my first child was born. that would have been interesting, to say the least. of course, i could do a blog as our kids have gotten older, but i'd hate to have to curse so much.. : )
and remember, carey is a good name for a kid, whether it's a girl or a boy.. : )